Sunday, April 24, 2011

FOO FIGHTERS Wasting Light


Limited edition Wasting Light (with bonus piece of analogue tape on left)


You know I'm not what you'd call a Foo Fighters fan, I'd say I'm more of a Dave Grohl fan. His work with Nirvana, Probot, Queens Of The Stone Age and Them Crooked Vultures is where I have mostly appreciated the man's vast talent.

Don't get me wrong, when the debut album was released way back when I eagerly snapped it up, as it was the closest thing we were going to get to a new Nirvana record. 'Foo Fighters' (1995) gave us the first real sign that behind the power trio's monster drummer lay a songwriter with seriously good pop sensibilities. So when 'The Colour And The Shape' came out in 1997 it was a no-brainer to add it to my record collection. This is acknowledged by many as the bands best record and probably I'm inclined to agree.

Then I kinda lost interest. Bands like the aforementioned Queens, Mclusky, The White Stripes, and The Strokes to name but a few had pointed to the future for me.

I stopped buying Foo Fighters records after a while because all I was hearing was a band releasing albums which sounded like the last one. There wasn't any progression in their sound, no sense of something new and exciting. This really sucked 'cause I so wanted to be down with the Dave.

But what do I know? In the last ten years of so they have sold an an absolute shitload of records and can sell-out venues like Wembley Stadium in a heartbeat.

Anyway, I heard there was a new album coming out, back to basics, be recorded in Dave's garage on analogue tape, etc, etc. Down I went to JBHiFi and handed over my $19.99. Honestly I wasn't expecting too much.

I'm well pleased to say it's is a fine return to form. I haven't heard the band rock this hard for a long time. I'm looking forward to hearing these new tracks live where the Foo's are at their fist-pumping best. The sticker on the cover says 'Please play at maximum volume' and that pretty much sums up everything that is good about this record.

No comments:

Post a Comment